Sunday, April 19, 2009

Today's Peace of Truth: Maine is an Interesting Weekend Destination!

This weekend I decided to explore Maine's southern coastline. It is so nearby, and often we forget to spend a little time "stay-cationing" to experience the attractions around us. It's nice to sit back and look at your portion of the world, and realize why tourists travel to it as a destination!

I am lucky that my cousin lives in South Portland, because it was a great place to start exploring and then to head south. The Old Port has a very historic feel, with cobblestone streets leading up to quaint stores, new and old. I love ducking in and out of shops and seeing what businesses are offering these days. There are plenty of great places to eat, and I suggest going down to the water and having a lobster roll for a real New England meal! After lunch you can go to the Maine Mall if you so desire, but I suggest driving down Route 1 for more site seeing. ** Don't take the highway unless you want to pay a toll every time you get on and off!**

The next town south that I visited was Scarborough. I went to the outdoor store, Cabelas, which is great if you are an avid outdoorsman. Then, I drove for miles to find the beach, but boy was it worth it. The views are fantastic! If you want a more fun, family atmosphere go to Old Orchard Beach. I was lucky enough to catch them on opening weekend, so the arcade and some stores were opening up and people were out. The beach was not packed though, as it will be in the summer, so it was nice to take a stroll in the sand. The skies cleared and gave me some great photos, too! Lucky me! :) (If you go during the summer, the amusement park rides will be open, too!)

The downtown areas of Saco, Biddeford, Kennebunkport, Ogunquit and York Village are the best places to find cute seaside shops. You really get an old New England feel for the area, and the local history. There are art stores, wine shops, markets, candy stores, ice cream shops, antique stores, cafes, and some nice restaurants, too. If you travel down Route 1 you will pass through all these places. My favorite beach is in Ogunquit, and I highly suggest checking it out when the weather gets a little warmer. It has some of the clearest water, cleanest & softest sand, and biggest waves that I have found on the coast! Downtown in Ogunquit, you can get a little sweet fix at Bread & Roses Bakery, or grab some goodies for the kids at the candy shop next door. I also recommend the Front Porch restaurant for their smoothies and delicious sandwiches.

Next, you will go through York. As you drive by York Beach, check out the saltwater taffy being made at the Goldenrod. They also have old-fashioned soda fountain drinks, and a nostalgic restaurant. Right down the road from there is York’s Wild Kingdom- a privately owned zoo. It’s lots of fun for everyone. Heading south on 1A, you will see the Nubble Lighthouse- an awesome place for a photo op. Then, as you go through York Village and start to head out of town, don’t miss the farm stand on the left, full of fresh, local, seasonal produce! Grab a piece of fruit for an afternoon snack! (*This stand will be open soon)

In Kittery, the next town on the map, you’ll find the Kittery Outlets. This shopping area has every store you can think of, with lots of discounts to please those thrifty moms! The Kittery Trading Post is a highlight here. If you like the great outdoors, you’ll find the accessories you need in this multi-level sporting goods paradise!

I ended my weekend vacation back home in Portsmouth, right across the bridge from Kittery, ME. I hope you locals go check out all the great places around you! Why not??! Ta ta for now! :)