Monday, April 6, 2009

Today's "Peace" of Truth: The Wellington Room is one of Portsmouth's Best Kept Secrets

On a drizzly Friday evening, my boyfriend and I giggled as we dodged rain drops & jumped puddles. We made our way down towards the water's edge and entered the door to The Wellington Room. As we walked into the small, cozy dining room we were warmly greeted by Karen, our waitress/hostess. She kindly took our wet coats and seated us by the window. The view was fantastic! The sparkling Pisquataqua River, the bridge's lights, and three tug boats at dock, made for a classic New England scene. Candlelight flickered throughout the room, playing off our faces, the windows, and the brick walls. An eclectic mix of glasses, artwork & decor led to the romantic ambiance. And then, came the food!

As an amuse bouche, we enjoyed a small shotglass of butternut squash soup, with a touch of lime, a mini dollop of creme fraiche, and a few crispy pieces of applewood smoked bacon. This was followed by a savory mushroom & caramelized onion stuffed crepe, with a madeira sauce for me, and a red and golden beet salad for my love. Both, exemplary appetizers! Our choice of drinks were fine French beers, the names of which I cannot pronounce, nor recall, but I know they were good!

Happily "appetized", we moved on to the main course. My entree was a homemade tagliatelle pasta, tossed with a light garlic butter sauce and a mixture of artichoke hearts, asparagus tips, shittake mushrooms and roasted tomatoes. It was topped with finely grated parmesan cheese and pea chutes, which are the little sprouts from the pea plant that are full of flavor. Though I'm not a vegetarian, I chose two vegetarian dishes without thinking twice, and I don't regret it one bit!

My boyfriend's main meal was a Thai flavored dish. His plate consisted of seared sea scallops atop jasmine rice and baby bok choy, with a green-cilantro coconut curry sauce. I of course took a bite, and my tastebuds were immediately livened by the bright flavors. It was perfectly balanced and pleasantly presented.

After we finished our last bites, we chatted with Chef Matthew and Sous Chef Ben, and complimented their execution of our meal. I felt at home with these kind folks, like old friends that you are just hanging out with, but it was the first time I had met them! They insisted that I try the chocolate glazed cake with poached strawberries for dessert, and they didn't have to twist my arm! It was decadent and delicious!

Then we stretched our legs on the balcony and let the mist veil over us as we hugged and enjoyed the moment. I left feeling pleasantly full and blissfully happy. I wouldn't have wanted to spend a rainy night any where else in the world. Great food, great service, and great ambiance make for a first class restaurant! Go eat at this hidden gem and feel the love! :)